Friday, July 23, 2010

Get It Together


I didn’t meet him until my late teens, early twenties. He was nicely wrapped and waiting for me to open. Boy oh boy, my eyes lit up after what he said… You Sheeba are pre-approved for $$$$$CHA-CHING$$$. "Awww I’m rich! Oh YEAH! Rich! Over night!" Yes he was Discover. Back in the day we were best of friends. He would get me out of tight situations like utilities, food and not so tight situation like "hmmm that dress would look so good on me" and "HEY! Dinner is on me" ;) I was living it up (or I thought I was). I was hooked on like a bait on a hook. That didn’t go on for so long. Like a very bad relationship, I wanted to get out of it, to end it, but it was too late. All the items I spend on frivolous things added up. And also, I used the card for emergencies (normally that's all it's supposed to be on) but that just put the icing on the cake. I would spend more than I made. And well ladies and gentlemen I was maxed out. I was getting calls from his relatives, good old collectors. Day and night. At home, on my cell and even at my job. I would try my best to pay what I could, but it wasn’t good enough for them. They wanted every cent they lended and more. I was a slave to who I thought was my best friend. “…borrower is the slave of the lender.” Proverbs 22:7b ESV

I had credit card debt in the beginning of my marriage. YIKES! It’s really not a good thing to start off a marriage with credit card debt. Especially when statistics say the number one case that leads to divorce is finances. Peter (who is my husband) and I went through very tough times, highs and lows. I needed to get it together. We first focused on Gods promise. And get rid of any security problems, I had to step out of my stubbornness (my mind set on “what will people think”). Because I let go of what people was thinking and only focused on what God was thinking, we were blessed with Dave Ramsey classes, Financial Peace University (www.daveramsey.com/fpu/home).

If you are debt free, Good for you! Kudos to you! Save up! Put money aside to save, for emergencies, for fun. Don’t get trapped in credit cards.

If you are in the situation I was in, you need to get it together. We are credit card debt free! YAY!!! I’m not trying to toot my own horn but… toot toot LOL. No seriously, debt is a serious matter that needs to be dealt with, not in the future… NOW. It didn’t take over night for us to get to where we are. But I sucked up my pride and began the journey to being debt free.

No comments:

Post a Comment